Standard Program (three terms)
UWS Course Code: 7020
CRICOS Course Code: 069055D
Note: This course may not be offered for all intakes. For further information, visit the Academic Intake Dates section of the website.
AboutThe UWSCollege Diploma in Social Science seeks to equip all students with introductory interdisciplinary and specialist skills and knowledge which form the basis for further study in the Bachelor of Social Science at the University of Western Sydney (UWS). It also offers a foundation unit in Academic English as an additional skill for tertiary level study.
The Diploma in Social Science is ideal for students who have not gained direct entry to the UWS Bachelor of Social Science and want the opportunity to improve their entry qualifications while preparing for university study.
- Academic English*
- Cultural and Social Geographies
- Crime, Deviance and Society
- Inequalities and Difference
- Tertiary Study Skills*
- The Geographies of Social Difference
- The Individual in Society
- Understanding Society
- Working with Communities
- Working with Cultural Differences.
*No advanced standing at university will be granted for these units.
For more information regarding unit and course descriptions, refer to the UWS Handbook.
You will need to satisfy both requirements below to be eligible for entry.
- Academic entry requirements
Minimum entry requirements are successful* completion of Australian Year 12 or equivalent or UWSCollege University Foundation Studies or equivalent.
For students who have completed UWSCollege University Foundations Studies, the entry requirement is a Grade Point Average of 5.5 or higher.
For information on country-specific entry requirements, see UWS International Academic Requirements (particularly the **Undergraduate and Postgraduate Entry Requirements table).
- English entry requirements
International students must satisfy one of the following language requirements:
- IELTS 6.0 with a minimum of 5.5 in each sub-band
- completion of UWSCollege EAP 4 course with a 50% pass in all assessments
- completion of UWSCollege EAP 5 course with a 50% pass in all assessments
- a “C” result in the University Foundation Studies English unit
- a result in the UWSCollege entrance test of IELTS 6.0 or equivalent.
* Successful completion means gaining a 50% pass in all required units.
** The information in the publication is correct as at 5 December 2011. The University of Western Sydney reserves the right at all times to vary information within this publication.
To successfully complete your diploma, you will need at least a 50% pass in all required units.
For further information, please see: